Dental Talent – How to Apply for Dentistry Jobs in the UK as a Foreigner

There are plenty of concerns and considerations when it comes to practising dentistry in the UK. This is especially true for professionals outside the country looking for dentistry jobs. That being said, there is a general procedure for those outside the UK that can expedite the process. This procedure is as follows:

1. Register with the General Dental Council (GDC)

Dental Talent - How to Apply for Dentistry Jobs in the UK as a Foreigner 5

The GDC is the UK’s governing body for the field of dentistry. Upon being recognised as a qualified dental professional, you will receive a GDC number. Depending on your place of origin, you might have to pass the Overseas Registration Exam. However, you might be exempt from this exam if you are qualified by the EEA.

2. Qualify your English skills through an examining body

Dental Talent - How to Apply for Dentistry Jobs in the UK as a Foreigner 6

If you were taught dentistry in any language other than English, you must take an English language exam to determine whether you are qualified to practise in the UK. Examples of such qualifying exams include the IELTS and the Linguarama. Once you pass these tests, you will be allowed to search for dentistry jobs in the country. 

3. Find a job

Screenshot 2020 09 09 at 12.58.25
Dental Talent - How to Apply for Dentistry Jobs in the UK as a Foreigner 7

You may now begin to search for dentistry jobs in the UK. Depending on where you choose to work, the requirements might be a little more strict or a little more lenient. For example, Scotland does not require dental professionals to take an English language exam. That being said, you would still have better chances if you have proof that you are qualified. 

4. Obtain a Professional Indemnity Insurance Certificate

This can be obtained from one of two institutions: the Dental Defence Union (DDU) or Dental Protection. Discounted offers are granted to EU Graduates in their first year of work in the UK, making it relatively inexpensive. 

5. Apply for a PCT Performer Number

If you have been employed in the UK as a dental practitioner of some kind, you now need to apply for a PCT Performer Number to practise NHS Dentistry. You will need to schedule an appointment with the PCT in the area you have been offered a job. To qualify for the PCT Performer Number, you need the following:

  • GDC certificate
  • Indemnity Insurance Certificate
  • Passport
  • Language Certificate
  • Hepatitis B Immunity Certification
  • 2 other identification forms and proofs of residence

6. Complete additional vocational training

Depending on your level experience, you may be required to complete additional vocational training to work within an NHS Dental Practice in the UK. This is usually accompanied by a period of mentoring with a more experienced dentist, and it varies from dentist to dentist. This process can take between six to eight weeks. As part of this process, the Criminal Records Bureau will conduct an investigation of your background. You might also have to provide a letter of good standing from your country to continue. 

In conclusion

The process of applying for work as a dentist in the UK can be arduous, but familiarising yourself with this process can make it easier and run more smoothly. So long as you can prove that you are qualified, it should be easy to find a job as a dentist in the UK once you meet all the qualifications.

If you’re looking for dentistry jobs in the UK, send us a message at Dental Talent. We have a wide database of opportunities for dentists all over the world looking for better opportunities.